IFLA Asia Pacific Region (IFLA APR) is a sub-group of the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA) organization. The group is made up of delegates nominated by each of the professional landscape architecture organisations located within the Asia Pacific Region that are members of IFLA (currently 14). The delegates represent their respective countries at IFLA and work together as a collaborative group to champion landscape architecture issues and projects throughout the Asia Pacific Region.
Each year the APR holds a Congress hosted by one of its member countries. These Congresses provide an opportunity for landscape architects and other interested allied professions to network with colleagues from around the world and within the Region and to explore topical issues that affect our world and understand the role we might play in addressing those issues. See the Congress tab at top of the page for further information about past and upcoming Congresses in our Region.
What is IFLA
The International Federation of Landscape Architects is the body representing Landscape Architects worldwide. Its purpose is to coordinate the activities of member associations when dealing with global issues, and to ensure that the profession of landscape architecture continues to prosper as it continues to affect the design and management of our environment.
The main objectives of the Federation are:
- The development and promotion of the profession of landscape architecture, together with its related arts and sciences, throughout the world.
- The understanding of landscape architecture as physical and cultural phenomena concerned with environmental heritage and ecological and social sustainability.
- The establishment of high standards of professional practice in the design of the landscape, its management, conservation and development.
To achieve these objectives, IFLA is concerned with:
- The advancement of professional education and continuing professional development of practitioners.
- The improvement of the image of the profession, and communications between members.
- Increased membership to achieve greater global representation of our profession.
- Effective management that makes best use of limited resources and encourages greater participation by members.
History of APR…
Prior to 2006 the Asia Pacific Region of IFLA was referred to as the Eastern Region.
Current IFLA APR President
2015 – Present Damian Tang (Singapore)
Past IFLA APR Presidents
2012 – 2015 Dato Ismail Ngah (Malaysia)
2010 – 2012 Alan Titchener (New Zealand)
2006-2010 Tong-Mahn Ahn (Korea)
2003 – 2006 James Hayter (Australia)
1999 – 2003 Mingkuo Yu (Taiwan)
1996 – 1999 Shintarou Sugio (Japan)
1993-1996 Richard Tan (Singapore)
1991 – 1993
1987 – 1991 Haruto Kobayashi (Japan)